Often I find myself reading and thinking and wanting to write about Serious Things. To add a little sunshine, I weave in a series of mini posts called Tidbits of Joy about things that are making me smile at the moment. Maybe they’ll make you smile too.
- Big development in my quest to Read Good Books! I finally downloaded the Overlook app and linked up with my local library so I have access to free downloadable e-books and audio books. I use the Kindle app to read the e-books I’ve borrowed. There is a long wait list for some, especially recent bestsellers, but you can request several at a time and read whichever one becomes available first. I’m currently reading The Lake House and really enjoying it. Raising the roof over here for free reading.
- My friend Kerry recently started a blog, Inspired by Baking, to share her awesome recipes and the stories that go along with them. She is so creative and talented in and out of the kitchen.
- I’m loving Modern Mrs. Darcy’s daily Kindle deals – a selection of bargain titles, some in the $1-3 range, arrive in my inbox every day. I haven’t made any purchases yet, but I like to peruse the list and will surely snag some deals from time to time.
GOOD EATING AND DRINKING:
- I’ve been on a hunt for the perfect pickle for a while. I love the ones you get in restaurants with a giant burger or club sandwich -crisp and fresh and dilly-sour, not sweet. Well, I finally hit the jackpot when I tried Nathan’s New York Style Kosher pickles – they’re in the refrigerated pickle section at the store, more expensive than the shelf variety, and worth every penny.
- I’ve sampled a few different kinds of Larabars and recently declared Cashew Cookie the winner. It’s chewy and sticks with you, but it’s not super sweet – a great quick breakfast or healthy snack. Amazingly, there are only two ingredients in the bar: dates and cashews.
- I love strong Irish black tea with milk and sugar, and I often start my day with a large mug. Sometimes I’ll have another cup in the afternoon. Recently I was inspired to brew a third cup after dinner. Brilliant! It gives me a boost to get through the harrowing bedtime routine, and it’s early enough in the evening that the caffeine doesn’t keep me awake all night.
- Tune in to episode 134 of The Popcast to hear Jamie and Knox answer yours truly’s listener question!
- Martin Sheen talking faith with Krista Tippett on On Being. What an extraordinary life he’s led thus far. Jed Bartlet for President!
- I’ve been cruising through the first season of Startup, Alex Blumberg’s podcast about starting his podcast company, Gimlet Media. I’ve worked for two different startup media companies – it’s fascinating, a little bit crazy, and very cool.
- My husband Dave and I watched several episodes of Aziz Anzari’s new comedy, Master of None, on Netflix. I especially liked Episode Two. Aziz’s real-life dad plays his dad on the show, which is sweet.
- I’ve started watching Making a Murderer on Netflix. This true crime series is horrific and fascinating. I’m trying to avoid all spoilers and theories until I finish the series, which is not easy in the digital age.
My brother Matt got married! It was a two-day affair including a Cambodian reception and American ceremony and reception. It was awesome to see my little brother very happy, to welcome my new sister-in-law to the family, and to be the mother of one of three adorable flower girls. There were an impressive number of old-school pop classics played at the American reception – think N’Sync, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears …
- And last but definitely not least … Our Anne Mary, a/k/a Annie, just turned ONE! We had a You Are My Sunshine Winter Solstice family birthday celebration for her. She loved being the center of attention all day long. I had fun making this easy, cute sunshine cake. And we all enjoyed eating it.
That’s all for now.